I will always shelter you, my love.

A place for Jaxson's friends and family to get info and updates

.

6.23.2010

Moving Up.....Again!






Jaxson is doing great. He weighs 7 lbs. 3 oz. and was moved to yet another bay for babies who require even less attention by the staff. I like it better, more space...more quiet.

He looks and feels like a term newborn baby. He's almost the size I was when I was born!

He is completely off breathing assistance and doing great. He still has a bit of Apnea, but the doctors say that he'll still have it until he's 40 weeks. Sometimes babies do go home on monitors....and Jaxson might, but his episodes are so few and far between, I don't think he will.

The only thing left now is feeding. For the past 2 weeks the nurses have been increasing his nipple feeds. He has been doing well with nipple, gavage, nipple, gavage.....As of tomorrow, he'll be increased to nipple, nipple, gavage (tube feed). He is fed every three hours, so that's 6 nipple feedings and two gavage. He's just got to prove that he can still gain weight. I figure he'll be about ready by his due date....maybe a little past. We'll just have to see how he does.

Once he is feeding solely on nipple, and can still gain weight, he can come home. It takes a lot out of the little ones to nipple feed, especially breastfeeding because they have to work hard to get the milk. So, building stamina plays a big role in his success.

We have everything ready for him to come home, I think.....scary!!

I will be trying co-sleeping for sure for myself and for him. I'll be too paranoid to leave him in another room anyway. Plus, it will be easier for feeding every 2-3 hours.

I feel kind of fortunate on that front because when I get to bring my baby home, I will already know so much. I already know how to change diapers, swaddle, feed, burp, his stress cues and he is already on a schedule....which he'll put us on when he gets here....so, hey, there's another ray to the brightside! I think it will be a whole lot less stressful for us....and we deserve it after all of this!!!

He fits in all his newborn clothes....and I'm thinking he'll outgrow them before he gets home. The kid is going to be 8 lbs before he even comes home, I think. He'll be in 3 month clothes in no time!!! CRAZY!!

I think if I had given birth to him on his due date, July 4th, I would have had to get a C-Section. The kid is going to be big!

Jaxson is 38.4 weeks gestation, and 84 days old. So, his adjusted age is now -12 days old corrected age. I would still be pregnant for 12 more days!!!!!

So, he was born 96 days early. Wild. I mean, that I can do that math. Ha!

On a side note, I know how much everyone wants to see Jaxson once he gets to come home! I want everyone to meet him too! BUT, we are going to have to wait to introduce him to everyone for a while. I'm not sure exactly how long it will be, but I'm guessing about a month. His primary neonatal doctor has been clear that we need to get him adjusted to the home before introducing him to a lot of folks. This makes us sad, but it's what we have to do for Jaxson.

The first week will be Jeff and I all alone with him. Jeff is taking off and we want to get adjusted to having a baby in the house so we can figure everything out...because in the end, it will just be the two of us taking care of him....Then, we'll have our immediate family, grandparents and Uncle Mikey....

I promise, as soon as Jaxson is given the green light for visitors, we'll be so excited to get him introduced to all of you! We can't wait for that day!!! YAY! We are almost there!!!! He's going to have more love than he'll know what to do with! And he deserves it!!!

Enjoy the pictures!!!!!

Love Love,

JEFF & SHEREE + JAXSON

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like Jaxson is doing really well, I'm so glad to hear it!

    I have to tell you that my first baby was preterm and my second was full-term. My first baby was 9lbs 5oz on her due date, but my second was 7lbs 10oz when he was born at 39.5 weeks. They say most preemies are smaller on their due dates than if they'd stayed inside, but I think that's not always true. Especially when they're doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheree, he looks fantastic! I cannot get over how big he is :). My guess is that he'll have the stamina required for breastfeeding!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete